kt Global Stores If you are staying for 90 or more days in Korea, Start Here If you are staying less than 90 days in Korea, Start Here From IP television to high-speed internet, you can always stay touch with your loved ones, and the world around you.
  • 中文
  • 日本語

=== Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) ===

=== Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) ===

Q. Can I buy a prepaid SIM card for my phone?

A. Yes.  In Korea, SIM cards are issued with activation of a line of service, meaning that SIM cards are issued at kt retailers nationwide.  If you aren’t able to speak Korean, you can visit one of our many “kt Global Stores” ( http://expatblog.kt.com/176 ), to have your service activated.  Depending on the location, you can find a store that can assist you in activating your service in English, Chinese, Japanese, and even German.

In order to activate your service, you will need to have the following:

*  An unlocked, WCDMA 2100mHz compatible phone

*  An Alien Registration Card or passport

Important Note:  Because of a restriction by the Korean Immigration Service, customers are able to activate prepaid service only after 3 days have passed since their entry into Korea.  This means that if you were to arrive in Korea on the 10th, you will be able to activate your prepaid service on the 14th.

Q. How do I check the remaining balance on my prepaid line?

A. You can check your prepaid balance by calling 1500 (toll-free from your kt mobile phone).

Q. Can I use a phone that I brought from home?  Do I need to register it?

A. As long as it supports WCDMA on the 2100mHz frequency, and it is unlocked, it should work on the KT network.  There used to a registration process, but as of May 2012, KT has changed over to a "blacklist" system, meaning that as long as a phone has not been reported lost or stolen, you should be able to bring it to Korea and simply pop in an activated Korean SIM card.  No registration required.

Q. I heard that Korea uses CDMA, does that mean my phone wont work?

A. In the era of 2nd generation mobile phones, aka. “2G”, Korea used the CDMA technology for mobile communications.  However, KT has since launched WCDMA (“3G”, different from CDMA) service, which means that phones on this standard are compatible with various 3G carriers throughout the world. 

Q. Will my GSM iPhone work in Korea?

A. There is a bit of confusion regarding the term “GSM”.

“GSM”, like “CDMA”, is a 2G standard of data communications.  They are incompatible with each other, meaning that a GSM phone will not work on a CDMA network, and vice versa.

“WCDMA”, which is different from “CDMA”, is an evolution of the “GSM” standard.

The iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (non-Verizon model), and the iPhone 4S (all models) are actually “WCDMA” phones, even though they are commonly called “GSM iPhones” because they also support GSM.

This means that iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (non-Verizon model), and the iPhone 4S (all models), will work without issue on the KT network.

Q. What does it mean for my phone to be “unlocked”? How do I know if my phone is unlocked?  Can KT unlock my phone for me?

A. The term “locked” or “unlocked” refer to whether or not a phone is “locked” for use only with the carrier it was bought on.  This means if your phone is “locked” to the carrier you bought it on, you cannot use it on KT, or any other carrier’s network.  (The phone will not accept our SIM cards.)  The easiest way to know if your phone is locked is to try another carrier’s SIM card in your phone, or to call your carrier and ask.

To “unlock” a phone means that a carrier has removed this restriction, and the phone can be used with other carriers, including KT.  By nature of the process, only the carrier who sold the phone can unlock it, meaning that unfortunately, KT cannot unlock phones that are locked to another carrier.

Q. What is a “membership card”?

A. A membership card is a special benefit that we provide as a “thank you” to our customers.  KT’s membership program, “olleh club”, is a card that you can use to get discounts at many member retailers.

You can find more information and sign up for olleh club easily by visiting http://expatblog.kt.com/70 or by visiting a kt Global Store ( http://expatblog.kt.com/176 ) or kt retailer near you. 

Q. How do pricing, installment plans and discounts get calculated?  How much will I pay per month?

A. Click here for a detailed walkthrough of how pricing is calculated for phones in Korea:   http://expatblog.kt.com/5

Q. How do I get help with subscription, service, and billing issues?

A. You can reach us through the following channels:

For general questions regarding your service and billing:

Foreign Language Customer Service Center

1583 (Toll-free from a kt mobile phone) or (02) 2190-1180

Hours of Operation:  Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM~7:00 PM, Korean Standard Time.

Languages Offered:  English, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Korean

KT Global Stores

Location Information Here:  http://expatblog.kt.com/176

Reporting a lost or stolen mobile phone

Foreign Language Customer Service Center

From within Korea: 1583 (Toll-free from a kt mobile phone) or (02) 2190-1180

From outside of Korea:  +82-2-2190-1180

Hours of Operation:  Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM~7:00 PM, Korean Standard Time.

Languages Offered:  English, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Korean

If outside of Foreign Language Customer Service Center operating hours:

From within Korea: (02) 2190-0901 (Korean-language support only)

From outside of Korea: +82-2-2190-0901 (Korean-language support only)

Questions about your service?

Mobile Services: Call 1583
(Toll-free from a kt mobile phone)
or (02) 2190-1180

Home Services: Call 1588-8448

For other ways to get customer service, click here.

Total : 482,453 / Today : 4 / Yesterday : 35

KT Corporation, CEO Lee Suk-chae. Business registration number: 102-81-42945, 2002-경기성남-0048.

ADDRESS: 90 Buljeong-ro (206 Jungja-dong), Bundang-gu, Seongnam-city, 463-711 Korea. TEL: 82-2-2190-1180

Copyright (C)2012 KT Corporation. All rights reserved.